Friday 14 September 2012

My Mum and Dad

My Mum as a teenager 
This post is about my Mum and Dad who are sadly no longer with us.  I felt I wanted to write a blog post in their memory so they can be part of my new venture into the world of vintage.

I am an only child so I was very close to my parents.  I enjoyed going to the library with my dad and choosing my books whilst he chose his and my mum's.  After being in the library for what seemed like hours, we would always end up at the little bookshop down the road looking at more books!  I still have a real passion for reading and can spend hours looking in bookshops and the smell always takes me back to a time spent just with my dad.  We would then go to the sweet shop to get sweets for all of us.  Both my parents had a sweet tooth and I couldn't even open a choc bar in my bedroom without my mum asking for a bit!  I think my thirst for knowledge and inquiring mind must of come from my dad.  I certainly remember sitting for hours talking to him about anything and everything and probably asked him millions of questions, something that drives my husband mad today!
My dad as a young man


Sadly my dad passed away when I was just 13 years old.  Despite not having him in my teenage life and adult life, I have often felt his presence especially during times of difficulty.  I am eternally grateful that I had him for 13 years and that I had the relationship I had with him.  I learnt a lot from my dad and for that I am very thankful.
My beautiful mum
My mum was my whole world and its actually very difficult to write something about her that will do her justice.  She was a lovely, soft mum who had a very wicked sense of humour.  She used to make me laugh so much and I always felt safe and happy in her company.  If I was upset about a boy (and I tended to be a lot in my sensitive teenage years!) then a few words from her would make me feel so much better. I know that she would have loved to come with me on my new voyage into the vintage arena and would have been very keen on the buying side of the business (Something we both shared, a love of buying 'stuff').
Now I have written this piece, both my parents can now share my journey, a journey I know they would have both thoroughly enjoyed!!

Love you Mum and Dad.xxx

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post about your parents. So sad that you lost your Dad at the age of 13. I do love the picture of him, he was very handsome, and your Mum was lovely. Good luck with your venture into the vintage world and hopefully we will meet at a fair one of these days.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete